Girls hospitalized after eating gummy-bear gummies stuffed with drugs

Written by Staff Writer CNN (CNN) — Twelve students, ages 11 to 15, were hospitalized in Germany after eating “hippity-hop,” made from gummy bears and chocolate, that were stuffed with drugs, German police said…

Girls hospitalized after eating gummy-bear gummies stuffed with drugs

Written by Staff Writer

CNN

(CNN) — Twelve students, ages 11 to 15, were hospitalized in Germany after eating “hippity-hop,” made from gummy bears and chocolate, that were stuffed with drugs, German police said Sunday.

The drugs, which are particularly addictive because they are less likely to be detected by the body, “can cause major complications,” including gastrointestinal bleeding, according to a police statement.

Six more students were also hospitalized after eating the gummies and two had earlier been hospitalized after complaining of nausea, the statement said. All the girls were in high school, but no other details were available.

Police are investigating the case as a suspected drug overdose and have found traces of MDMA, also known as ecstasy. The local district attorney’s office has taken over the investigation, while “all preparations for the upcoming festive season have been suspended.”

The gummies were made at a school in a village in the southwestern state of Baden-Württemberg, near Stuttgart.

The school in E-Malbork, where the gummies were made, is closing this week to conduct an investigation and provide additional supervision of pupils, the police statement said.

The names of the individuals hospitalized, and all those suspected of eating the tainted gummies, have not been released, though they can be found on a police website.

Leave a Comment